9/9/07

Great Cabbage Salad


I LOVE this salad. Its easy to make. Thinly slice some cabbage (I used a third of a half cabbage), add chopped green onions (I used 3) chopped cilantro (a handful) and some diced avocado (3/4 of one b/c I love avocados). I sprinkle garlic powder, salt, pepper to taste then squeeze lime juice (1 lime), vinegar and olive oil. I toss it then wrap it in saran wrap and put it in the refrigerator to blend the flavors. Should feed two.


I usually make it with my "Chicken with Hats" which is basically roasted chicken thighs with marjoram and rosemary, salt and pepper. Sometimes I add sliced garlic in between the skin and meat if I have time. I called them hats because the skin is so crispy that the skin comes right off like a hat. You have to put the chicken closest to the top of the oven to get it crispy like that. I usually don't eat the skin but it's soooo good and crispy! I also had to come up with interesting names for food so my young daughter would be more interested in eating it at 4 and 5 years old. She still refers to it as Chicken with Hats at 23 years old. Sometimes I'd serve it with "Little Trees" (broccoli) to interest her. I'm sure lots of young moms have resorted to this culinary subterfuge to get kids to eat.


At this point in my blog I'm doing the BASICS of my cooking recipes. Also because I'm packing my stuff daily and realize that I don't have the gadgets and tools I need for more elaborate stuff because they're packed.


Also, a lot of my friends, family have asked for the easiest stuff to make life easier. I won't be cooking too many unique things from now until I move to San Francisco for Culinary School.


Life is tasty.

2 comments:

*karendianne. said...

Oh I am loving this. I love the prep ahead stuff and I love cabbage. Yummy Deb. I like the easy stuff and learning about the basic seasonings to have on hand - I have nothing.

As a side note - my father told me Brussell Sprouts were "little peoples heads" and if you'll recall the ONLY time I've eaten those suckers was when you were here and Mom owned this house and YOU cooked them. I'll admit they were good but Paul Lee and "Little Peoples Heads!" figures.

Anonymous said...

I love all your great ,fun,easy cookin...................Take care out there ......Kyasirose