9/13/07

Base Camp - San Francisco

I drove from my Redondo Beach, CA home yesterday to "base camp" Millbrae, CA. My temp home until I get into the Culinary Academy's Dorm Room. It was a perfect driving day and I made it in 6 hours straight stopping only once for gas. I was greeted by my mom/aunt/godmother, my cousin, the superbly talented watercolor artist Guy, and my uncle John who always hides away a perfect bottle of red for these special visits.

"Mom" made lamb shanks in the slow cooker with plenty of osso bucco type sauce, a gremolata topping and nice lumpy semi mashed potatoes with parsley (garden grown) butter, salt and pepper which contained the sauce very well. It was falling off the bone GOOD. John served a Cabernet Savignon by Raymond Burr vineyards. It was a perfect pairing.

The weather is way cooler here than my place so it was nice to settle down from the long drive with a hearty meal since all I ate on the drive was an Ensure, a nectarine, an aisian pear, and a 1/4 of a club sandwich from the day before. I was real hungry when I got to the gas station so I bought M and M's with peanuts and a small bag of Ruffles with Sour Creme and Onion flavoring. Ugg. Burp.

Tomorrow I will head to the Academy via the BART to check out the dorm room demo and look for storage space for all my belongings somewhere near my mom's place in Millbrae.

I'll stay for a week then head back home for the final packing and moving. I should be here in Millbrae by the end of October and ready to hit school November 12th!

Getting closer! I'm getting more excited! Can't wait to play on the BIG GAS STOVES!! (read: big ass stoves) I've put up with freakin' electric for the past 24 years and I'm done with that!

Wow.... I'm amazed at myself. cool

2 comments:

*karendianne. said...

Auntie Alice brought out her inner Chef to welcome you with love. What a wonderful gift love can be. It builds courage for us we move in new directions in our lives. We literally feel stronger and more capable because we received this love.

Can't wait to hear about the dorm. Sounds edgy, fun, adventurous.

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

FREAKY!!! I just posted a lamb shank recipe yesterday on my blog!
Sounds like a great welcome at the end of your drive... sigh!!!
I didn't realize your were moving so darn fast!
Can't wait to hear more! Looking forward to the big ass stove experiences....