9/25/07

Fortune Cookie Pays Out $$


Food for Thought Category



The U.S. Powerball lottery drawing of the March 30, 2005 game produced an unprecedented 110 second-place winners, all of whom picked five numbers correctly with no powerball number. The total came out to $19.4 million in unexpected payouts. 89 tickets won $100,000, but 21 additional tickets won $500,000 due to the Power Play multiplier option.[3]
Powerball officials initially suspected fraud, but it turned out that all the winners received their numbers from fortune cookies made by Wonton Food Inc.[4], a fortune cookie factory in Long Island City, Queens, New York. Apparently, number combinations printed on fortunes are reused in thousands of cookies per day. The five winning numbers were 22, 28, 32, 33, and 39. The sixth number in the fortune, 40, did not match the powerball number, 42.[3]

2 comments:

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

OK Sister... I'm wondering, should I pick my own numbers (which never work) or go for the fortune cookie ones!

Anonymous said...

I wish they all could be powerballs. I'll take care of the winner number my goddamn self. Devious and Devlish Daughter Di.