2/26/08

Happy My Birthday!!


Not really but this is the FIRST cake I've made in my Intro to Baking and Pastry class! I can't imagine what I will be able to make in ADVANCED Baking and Pastry.

This cake started off being the embarrassment of my life when I first began. It had a pink frosting made with cherry extract but then I added ground chocolate cookie wafers and it looked like I rolled it in DIRT. I was so upset I considered heading to Whole Foods to see if they would give me a frosted pink cake so I could do a switcheroo with my pink cowpie sitting in the kitchen walkin refrig. Seriously! Damn cake looked like I should have vacuumed it!

Someone asked what I was going to put on my cake as decoration and I told them a hammer.

Everyone else's cakes were looking outrageously amazing. I wanted to drizzle chocolate on top of my that said This Cake Sucks.

Today even both of our B&P chefs had no clue on how to make it better looking except to scrap off the dirt and make more buttercream frosting. In other words: Start over. At least I could cover up the top without having to scrape that off as well.

Long story short, after all was done, I actually made a good looking cake. It was made with two fillings. One a lemon curd added to the butter cream and the other with cherry extract. I "painted" the inside layers with a Creme de Cassis simple sugar bath to soak in before frosting. The final frosting was plain white buttercream. I put chocolate flakes on the sides and added brandied cherries on top with a center of yellow and purple edible pansies.

It was a painful start but a glorious finish. It tasted really good and for those who know me I never eat cakes. Even any of my wedding cakes! Not a bite. But THIS one was really flavorful.

Yea Me!

1 comment:

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

You are killing me with these lovelies!