2/8/08

10 Pound Prime Rib

Today in class we recieved a HUGE trussed Prime Rib of Beef from butchery. I guess the Chef's have a need for a juicy slice of beef. When someone walked it in all eyes woke up immediately!
It is a beautiful site for those of us who are connessiurers of fine meat. I know I woke up. The cut is as big as the length of my arm. Seriously immense.

Chef Rob looked around class and spyed my friend Phil and said "you be in charge of that meat". Meaning, you prepare it for cooking tomorrow. I love Phil but he's awfully young to be in charge of such a carnal diamond. I immediately countered back to Chef that "I WANT TO BE IN CHARGE OF THE MEAT!" I saw a few others smile and shake their heads at me. I'm never shy about things I'm passionate about.

I was passionate because I know that cut of beef and the size of it would cost around $100 from a market. I couldn't let it go to someone who might not do it justice. I know my buddy Phil is good and smart but there are some things I insist on. Full custody of my daughter and full custody of a $100 loaf of pure prime rib.

I made a rub from mashed garlic and salt in a spanish style molcolhete bowl and stone, added rosemary, thyme and oregano, and olive oil. I rubbed the meat with it and then cut slices into the meat and stuffed in hearty garlic slices for flavor into all the nooks and crannies too. YUM.

I'll arrive early tomorrow to preheat the oven and add the delicacy so by the time its about 11am the class can enjoy slices of pure prime rib. Is this making you hungry yet?? I can't wait for tomorrow.

Life in Intro Garde Manger with Chef Rob is THE BEST!! Not only is he truly talented and knowledgeable but he gets the best stuff from the other Chefs because he is so good and teaches us so well. Gotta love that guy.

I've learned a TON in his class and look forward to another week. I gotta make good notes to remember everything. So much to learn. I LOVE this school.

No comments: