2/10/08

A Beautiful Saturday!

Its so glorious to wake up (sleep in) to a clear warm sunny San Francisco day. I lingered over my cup of tea (something I long for during classes) and a cherry danish while checking the news on the internet. The AMC theater is very close so I checked out what movies were playing and went to see There Will Be Blood. I hardly ever go to the movies but I may go more often since I love the matinees with the cheaper prices and not too many people.

The theater is situated inside what used to be a 1930's Cadillac sales room. Its 7 stories tall with theaters on every floor. 14 in total. What is so beautiful is all the woodworking throughout. The cealings, the stairways and the walls with all the original sculpted fixtures and moldings. Its a striking architectural building. That's what I love about San Francisco. The pride they have in the history of these beautiful buildings inside and out. Perfectly preserved and restored.

I ate a late breakfast at the famous Mel's Diner on Van Ness (another part of history) headed to the movie and strolled in the sunshine afterward on my way back home.

I rode the BART back to Millbrae to pick up my car for the weekend and my dearest cousin/brother Guy and I enjoyed a delicious dinner at Max's by the Bay. One of my first "real dinners" in a long time. By "real dinner" I mean having a cocktail, eating a plate of protein, vegetable and starch and having fun conversation with someone I love dearly. A real meaningful meal, all at the same time, like normal people. I am missing that sort of luxury since my meals consist lately of about 8-15 assorted canapes every morning with 11 fellow crazed students; possibly a spoonful of some kind of desert from Baking and Pastry, a snatch of meat, cheese and fruit here and there - all with water. All on the dash.

By the time I get back to my "room" I eat what I can put together and either watch news on TV or read my books.

It's odd that in studying cooking I actually do very little of it here. I have no way to practice on a daily basis after school. But, by the time class is over I realize how tired I am after standing for 5 hours straight. I never feel it until class is over. At least I can grab a nap when I get home to recoup. 5am comes awfully early M - F.

Tomorrow is Sunday, washday, grocery shopping day and ironing day. One more week of Intro to Garde Manger then next will most likely be Intro to Baking and Pastry or Contemporary Cuisine. Next week my team and I will be doing Fruits. We alternate. One week is cheese, one Sushi, and one Fruit. I'm looking forward to next week. And to sleeping in tomorrow!

1 comment:

*karendianne. said...

Did I miss Cheese day?

Whining about Cheesy Love, *karendianne.