1/1/08

Goodbye 2007!!

I'm glad to see it go. It gave me a couple of 360's but I landed on my feet again (as brother Brian always says). Let me count the ways...

The Law Firm I worked for was sold to another firm that had their own Office Mangler so I was out of a job January 31st but they kept me on the payroll until Feb. 28 at which time I got a 3 month severance check.

I had a 7 day April Mexican cruise planned and paid for since September '06 with my dearest best friend Eleanor. I wasn't going to miss it. We had the best of time for 7 days on the Abraham-Hicks seminar cruise. It's a positive thinking type of inspirational concepts. You can find them at http://www.abraham-hicks.com/ . I was inspired and, as always, enjoyed the company of Eleanor.

My brother Dana was diagnosed with cancer in '06 and was ebbing away to nothing. He stayed a few days in April with me so we could spend time together. He bought me a microwave and a DVD player. It was good to spend the time but painful to deal with.

May brought my brother Brian's 3 day birthday bash in Oxnard with families and friends galore. We all had a terrific time. Pam, his wife put the whole thing together which in itself was a feat to overcome. She did a fantastic job.

All the while since February I'd been searching and interviewing for jobs which continued to be a series of disappointments. Thank goodness for Abraham-Hicks!

Also in May around Mother's Day my sweet big baby cat Mac died. We were buddies for 15 years. He had a cancerous tumor in his mouth. I was devastated and indeed alone. I started wondering what I would do with my life when I considered going to school to be a Chef. It seemed an option I would never had done if Mac was still alive. It was a turning point in my life.

My husband and I had separated in '06 but were still trying to work things out. He took a motorcycle trip up to Mt. Shasta to see his niece and her family when on the return trip was run off the road by a big truck and when over the embankment totaling his Harley and messing up his back. He made it back home via airline and eventually bought another Harley. Why would he want a do-over?!

June 1st was Aunt Alice's birthday so I flew to San Francisco to attend the auspicious event. Uncle John rented a limo and cousin's Paul, Guy, myself and Auntie and Unc went to the Top of the Mark for drinks and a fantastic view of downtown SF then dinner at Scoma's. The dinner was incredible and lots of laughs.

I decided to search out a cooking academy in Sarasota, Fla mid June and went by way of Jacksonville so I could spend serious good time with my Aunt Gloria (2 years older than me, we're more like sisters). I didn't care for the University Academy so I was still searching. I checked out two places in Los Angeles but it didn't ring my bells so to speak.

In July Kermit moved up to Mt. Shasta and I finished up paperwork with the courts. A sad ending and goodbye.

I also I took another trip to SF to check out the Ca Culinary Academy. That rang my bells! I filled out my application and made my plans. The end of July was a family reunion party of two dear friends Cher and Joe in Chicago. My last minute decision to go was a good one. I loved spending time together with them and meeting all their families and friends.

At some point around this time my brother Dana called to let me know that he was CANCER FREE!! The Chemo really worked. It is nothing short of a miracle. He has only half his stomach and part of his esophagus but its gone! Wow. Definitly Good News.

September and October was spent tying up loose ends, getting rid of unnecessary items held over the years and planning my move.

I moved October 27th to San Francisco (Home!) and began Culinary Academy November 12th.
I completed my first 6 weeks of training and by December 21st got 2 weeks of Winter Break. Christmas and New Years Eve with the "family".

Here I am on January 1st anticipating the next year of culinary schooling. I love it. So much has gone on to get me to this point. I made it.

Amazing. Happy New Year to you all!

1 comment:

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

YES! You did make it! Awesome post... What a year.. A lot of doors opening and closing in your life...a lot of heavy stuff....

Here's to the doors opening... and a farewell to those that have closed...