1/31/08

Brokeback Mountain of Cheese

Today I had to make 2 buffet style cheeseplates on deli mirrors. I had this great idea before I got started so I began building my platter. Chef strolled by, took a look and said "I'm going to show you how to make a platter. What you're doing here is not a cheeseplatter, its a sacrifice of good cheese!

I got over my feelings so I could concentrate on what Chef was trying to teach me. It was hella better. The overall final anlysis is that anyone ordering a $125 cheese platter doesn't want little cute cookie cutter rounds on little lace dollies. They want a lot of good cheese! Forget the dollies, forget the cuteness, forget the ladies Chardonnay luncheon plate. We need cheese for cheese hounds with big paws!!

While watching Chef instruct me and then showing him I was paying attention I grabbed the double handled cheese knive which is really like one of those logging saws that have both handles that two guys cut through trees with. I was bearing down on this wheel of hard cheese when I felt the bottom half of my back resolutely remaining solidly on the floor. What this created was a person such as myself being cut in half. Top going toward the push of my arms on the cheese, bottom half still not paying attention to the rest of the body so it was hanging out on the floor.

Big Mistake.

Instantly my eyes started watering uncontrollable from the sheer separation of my lower back from the rest of the crew of vertabrae. I had to dash for the pain med, the anti inflamatory meds, and the muscle relaxer. 1/2 hour later, after dabbing my eyes for 20 min. I was back on the job. Fortunately, I was able to finish class, deliver the platters (with a strong helper to carry) to the other classes and continue to complete Garde Manger.

I had to head to Butchery to begin my makeup of time lost due to the brokeback. I spent about 40 minutes tackling a whole section of beef loin so I could trim and slice over a dozen NY Steaks. They looked yummy. I had a small slice that I had to trim to even out the section and Chef let me take that home instead of using it for hamburger later.

Tonight I pan fried the little lovely with a bit of oil and spices over medium heat. After I removed it the pan was filled with little leavenings that are too attractive for a chef in training so I deglazed it with red wine until it was Au Sec (almost evaporated) then added about 1/2 Tbsp of butter to the pan and melted it and poured it over the little NY. I gotta say it was GOOD!

I had a real dinner here at Casa Oaisis a la Franklin. (sounds so classy that way). NOT

Well. F' it. I'm happy. I think I'll be good to get to class tomorrow. That's all that counts in my book. I love it there. Its my social life, my dream and my grocery store! What more could I ask for.

1 comment:

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

Gawd, my back is throbbing from reading this post!

Perhaps you have a slipped disk there girly....