1/29/08

Can-a-Pees

Today in Chef Rob's Intro to Garde Manger class,
we all split up in teams of four to make various things. Our team had to create 75 canape's (small party size finger foods usually passed on a tray before everyone passes out!). No recipes, very little instruction - just go and do. I love the open creativity it allowed.

My partner and I made strawberry cream cheese on toast with garnishes of a thin grilled pineapple slice, a small wedge of strawberry, a blueberry all centered around a flower of procuitto ham held together by the base of the cream cheese blend. It was Dee-Lish. (gawd, I am so over Rachel Ray) Me and my teammate made about 75 of them. We also poached a dozen pears in wine and sugar with spices and brandy. When they cooled they were sooooo good. Very tasty. I'm obviously having fun. Or maybe its not so obvious but I AM!

My buddy Phillonious made a spectacular cheese plate on a huge catering mirror. I wish I had my cell phone to take a photo to paste on here today instead of the green veggy buttons above but we aren't allowed cell phones in class. Chef said today that tomorrow we can bring them only to photograph. I'll start logging all the stuff I make on my camera to start a portfolio of things I've made to put in a photo log when shopping around for Chef work.

My other teammate, Daralicia was busy secretely prepping liver for the last 2 days so that tomorrow Chef can demonstrate the wonder of making liver pate. When she mentioned that she put garlic in the mix for the liver she caught my attention so I anticipate the pate will be mouth watering. However, at 8-9am I still have a speedbump or two about eating liver pate. I won't even have time for a cup of tea before that. Isn't there some hard and fast rule about not eating Liver Pate until you've consumed a cup of tea/coffee? Please. Someone.

I'll just make sure I'm up to speed with my pain medication for my back by then.


Thursday after Garde Manger I'll back go to butchery and begin filleting flat fish like flounder, then later work on more red meat cuts, duck, chicken and sausage making. I have a lot of making up to do due to the loss of one week from a three week class. I need to bring my grade back up to acceptable. Nothing but an A is Acceptable for me!!

Chef Rob allowed us to bring in our own CD's so we can play music during production to further our appreciation of the experience. I brought in my favorite Rolling Stones (Strolling Bones) CD and since NO ONE else brought one in we listened to it for about 3 hours. HA One of my teammates didn't know I brought it in and said the music was PUTTING HER TO SLEEP!! WTF? The Stones putting you to sleep?? I must be getting old. Fortunately he put a caveat on the music situation. NO RAP. Thank you Baby Jesus.

Tomorrow I'll kick things up a notch with Mary J. Bilge (and get closer to my new xyz generation friends). Or maybe I'll be mean and bring in Barry White. HA I don't think I'd be able to concentrate. All that heavy breathing and sexy deep baritone begging and pleading... Wooo, it's gonna be hot in the kitchen tomorrow. The "kids" will kill me. Okay. So I'll bring in something closer to the 90's. ROTF. Most of them were only 10 years old then.

I think I can corrupt at least half of them. he-he....

2 comments:

*karendianne. said...

Oh yes, pictures from class would be so fun. What cool stuff you made, too. Totally creative - no surprise there though.

I'm noticing your classmates have some really creative names, too. Or maybe I live in an enclosed world and need to get out more? ACK!

I love good morning tunes. Mary is fantastic. Yesterday I had Stevie Wonder and it made for a great start to the day. I was "living for the city" on "higher ground" and it felt goood!!!

Here's to ya! Innervisions Love, *karendianne.

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

Yummers!!! I could live on appetizers and snacks! A grazer...on the go...

I vote for Led Zeppelin... The younger set could learn a thing or two about CLASSIC ROCK!! Or really flip their itty bitty boats with some Grateful Dead - very SF classic...
Robert Plant & Allison Krause have a new album out... Allison is so darn talented!

Have fun!