1/27/08

The Good and Bad and the Rain

I've been trying to recover from my back troubles for a couple of weeks now to the degree that I effectively missed a week of a 3 week course in butchery. That's bad. Butcher Bob however agreed that I could come in this past Friday to take the Final test and remake up some time in the next two weeks over at the south campus. That's good. A big break or I'd have a lousy grade after my 4.0 six weeks in Basic Skills.

I learned how to de-bone a whole chicken leaving it whole with skin attached for stuffing and reshaping back into a chicken shape. I'll have to try that if I ever get a stove or oven again. I learned how to clean squid, messy but easy. Calamari here I come. Then I learned how to play busy my last day so I didn't have to debone a whole pork butt. I have my standards! Just kidding. It looked like way too much work for a gal whose percodan was wearing off much too soon.

I was able to get up and shuffling around the grocery store during a break in the weather today to stock up on foods for the next week, if not I'd have to suffer with the stuff I can find at the local liquor store like wrinkly cucumbers (in January?) hard avocados, brown bananas.... you get the picture. I'd probably check the expiration date on a can of spam (do they have expiration dates even?). That'd be bad.

I walked to Walgrens and the mail box to send out my bills for exercise and after that it was Home James! Meds, hot pacs and novel. That was good.

Its raining again now at this late hour and I'm still awake. That's bad. But tomorrow is Sunday and more rest - way good. And most likely more rain tomorrow.

I begin my introductory class of Garde Manger Monday at the South Campus 7am sharp which means I must wake at 5am. Bad. Real Bad. Garde Manger is where we deal with cold foods like different salads, pates, forced meats, cold cuts, aspics and the like. Nothing there I'd eat unless it was Goose Liver Pate. Now, that's GOOD! I'm not up to eating salads at 9am in 45 degree weather. We'll also learn how to carve up fruits and veggies and make cheese platters. I know all this because in Skills class all the other classes brought us foods from their classes. Garde Manger was not my favorite. Bakery was good, sometimes too good.

Somehow I'll manage to finish this course and get my Chef degree! Back or no back. Oh, wait...

Time to start another novel. I get so silly when I'm tired.

1 comment:

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

Glad to see you are up a bit! Novels and good food and good drugs are a MUST for your 'condition'!
Hang in there!