1/7/08

Bob's Big Boy Please


Today was good. We had our chef, Chef Bob, who is a NO NONSENSE chef. We get 300 points to get an A in class which means that if we're late to class we get knocked off 20 pts. right off the top. If my chin hair shows there goes another 15 pts. Our only test is a written test of 25 questions at the end of 3 weeks. We get 100 points for that. Our production (cutting, slashing, mauling and mangling) of product gets us another 125 points if we get it all right.

We get 75 pts for professionalism (coming to class in the proper CLEAN uniform) and ABSOLUTELY no swearing in class or we have to leave the kitchen for a certain amount of time and Chef B will decide then you have to come back in and apologize to the whole class and the chef. I had to ask him if he considered the word Smart Ass a swear word and he said no cuz I'm always calling the guys a smartass when they joke around with me. So I'm good. I think I may be able to go 3 weeks without a swear word unless I cut myself, then I'll seriously flunk.

Chef Bob demonstrated 5 whole chickens today and all the cuts we can make from them. I can't even count them all. Everything from drummetts to butterflied boneless, skinless chicken breasts. We have to do this all tomorrow. $&^@! I'm thinking raw shredded chicken should be considered a cut starting tomorrow.

I mean he took a chicken leg and thigh and deboned it almost to the end of the leg while the other part was left whole. Its cool, cuz then you can stuff it with stuff but I don't think its going to be easy. I'll stuff mine with swear words.

He says his final is hard b/c you either write out the right answer or you don't know what you're talking about and you get a zero on it. No multible questions or mix and match. We answer by writing everything down. He say he had a class once of 25 chefs and only 1 (woman) got an A and she was a VEGAN!!! Friggin' vegans. (note no actual swear word? I'm practicing)

Other than that, he seems nice with a glimmer of a sense of humor. I wore my long johns under my uniform today and was fine but after class I was dying of heat. I'll have to switch to Short Jimmy's and toss the Long Johns. At least I can walk without having to drag my red carry on with all my clothes in it. I can walk in my uniform since I'm closer to the Old or North Campus.

We don't have any reading to do in his class which is nice. No daily quizzes either. It'll be a quick 3 weeks. It was good to see all my classmates again. We are all a good team together.


I'm getting used to the panhandlers and the street sleepers. Everyone behaves somewhat. Today some crazy old lady followed me into my hotel and started blabbering jiberish to me (again) while I was waiting for the elevator and I finally just said "why don't you go outside, its such a nice day". Geez. Last time she was certain I was the mother of some girl in some blah, blah, blah... Some guy asked me for change last week and I said I was just about to ask him for money so we're both screwed.

Next time I'm at Starbucks I'll have to ask for a Decaf-Mocha-Vodka-Valium to go. Please. (thnx Mum, I love my card sayings)

1 comment:

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

Super fun read!
Here are some 'mommy' swear words for you:

Cheese Wiz
Fudge
Dang
Crud
Shoot
For Crying Out Loud (my fave)
Flock of Seagulls
I need a drink...