11/14/07

Edwarda Sissorhands

I now have the thumb, index finger and bird flippin' finger maimed. I noticed today that my right hand thumb has curious paper cut like slices that I have no idea how I got them. My hands are becoming hazardous contaminating apendages not conforming to a professional kitchen.

I'm in boot camp. What do you expect?! I've got my Chef looking over everthing I slice, dice, mince, and chiffonade. She finds one thing wrong with my style. I keep slicing at an angle. I told her today that I think I'm kind of crooked, its not my slicing. She didn't buy it but I got a laugh.

Yesterday we learned 5 different knife skills. Today we learned 5 more. So that meant that today we did 10 different skills in the same amount of time that we did 5 just yesterday. I managed to do them all. Therefore the injuries. Or my clumsiness. I got 8 more fingers, way I see it.

I had a difficult time with the "tourne" cut today. Chef tried to help me and then realized I had a dull paring knife! Finally I got it going. BIG difference in a sharp knife vs dull. The tourne cut is making a little red potato look like a 7 sided football. Why I asked. "Because we can" Chef answered. Yeah, we can after 80 hours of practice, then lifetime followup. I made 3 footballs.

I ate lunch after school at this FABULOUS Mexican restaurant today which is in the next block from out school. If I wasn't so tired I'd explain what the 3 soft little Polla Abadao (something like that, I'm too tired to think straight) tasted like. I had them Super It which meant adding guacamole, sour cream and something else. I got red fresh med. hot sauce (clearly home made) to add to them and Good Gawd they were incredible. Or maybe I'm just anemic from very little hot food. Naa, they were excellent.

Tonight for dinner I failed my cooking skills. I had an Udon noodle package I got from Trader Joes that I just add water. Its all natural. Trouble is I added hot water from the sink. I forgot I have a little kettle thing that heats up water for me. The hot sink water wasn't hot enough and I ate the noodles which tasted pretty starchy. Yuck. But that's all I had. I don't wanna venture outside at night here. Too close to the "Tenderloin District". If you don't know what that is I dare you to Google it. Very interesting place.

Well, it's 8:40. I'm setting my sleeping goal for 9pm today. I need to have a serious look at my pillow before 5:30am rolls around. Its getting more difficult every day to get my honky ass up and parade it down the street. (proper lingo for my locale).

Ciao ....xoxo

No comments: