11/28/07

Edible Compost

Every day in Skills class (kitchen) we make these wonderful creations. This week is focused on soups. Last week was Sauces. Yesterday was a superb Potato Leek Soup. I found new appreciation for my culinary skills. Chef thought it was Excellent too!

Today we made 3 soups in one and a half hours. From scratch. We made French Onion Soup, Clam Chowder and Cream of Mushroom. I managed to make all three in the alloted time. Some student chefs made only 1.

I'm bragging here so if you don't want to read it don't read this paragraph. All 3 of my soups made Chef Happy! And me. I never liked clam chowder but having it made this-a-way was excellent. I actually ate a lot of my own soup. My onion soup was super good and I melted over the creamy mushroom soup. I didn't know I could cook so well. THIS IS SO MUCH FUN.

Tomorrow we make Consomme an Shrimp Bisque. I'm not crazy about either but we'll see what happens.

We have a mid-term Competency test this upcoming Monday on Soups and Sauces. I have to find a kitchen to practice!

After cooking all 3 soups in different pans I then checked the schedule to find out that I had Dishwashing!!! That's 12 students X's 3 pots each. Burnt, crusted, ruined pots. Left to dry over a flame! What morons. Way too much work including all the bowls we used to plate for the Chef. I wish I could wear gloves.

I'm pooped. Going to rest now. I know its early but I'm seriously flogged. We worked hard today. [just like a real kitchen]

Caio.

2 comments:

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

I see serious hand cream products in your future...
And a manicure...
After midterms, of course!

*karendianne. said...

Soup! Soup? Soup! Potato Leek Soup has LEE in it.

Oh these soups, oh the fun, oh the damn dishpan hands. Andi is right - a manicure although I'd have a martini to go with that!

...just contributing Love, *karendianne.