4/5/08

Spring Break Comes, then Goes...

I'm finding myself at the end of my Spring Break.

Time flies way too fast. The planet must be spinning faster than usual. WTF! Six months are gone?! It'll be no time before I'm a full fledged Cordon Bleu Chef. I am amazed. I'm not happy that the next 5-6 weeks I will NOT be cooking. I'll be in a computer class and then Intro to Wines. (that's an easy A)

I spent the week cooking at Mum's and Papa John's home. I was in a real flurry to make everthing I could and had been thinking of cooking. One afternoon I traveled to the Restaurant Supply place to buy the things I needed, like a portable propane burner and wok, some catering platters for a cheese and a fruit display for my upcoming debut catering my cousin Guy's art gallery's Art Walk for the second Saturday's of every month from April through September. I may get some work from that hopefully. I'm excited.

I made a couple of soups to warm the cold nights and I made a tomato meat sauce over polenta slices like a lasagne. It was my first time making polenta and it turned out, well, perfect.

I had a day at the Stonestown Mall, think Williams and Sonoma. I get a discount there anyway b/c of my affiliation with the Culinary School. [danger!]

I at least spent one whole day JELLING. Just playing on the computer, reading cooking books and magazines, and sitting in the sun outside in the yard reading my novel. One whole day relaxing. Ahhhh. Felt good. I still mentally reside on that lounge chair in the sun.

Last night, my cousin Guy and I tried a new Italian restaurant close to home that I found on the internet Citysearch. com site. I love that site. Whatever city you are in you can find things to do, places to eat, etc on Citysearch.com.

The restaurant was really quaint. The whole place was a mural of the Italian countryside. Campy but sweet. It wasn't very busy so our service was good, but the real show was the food. OMG! The Carpacio was the best I've had and made my cousin a believer that raw beef can be made lovely and delicious. He ordered the Calamari Steak breaded and topped with tomato coulis and capers with a dash of lemon juice. I ordered the Rack of Lamb with a wine reduction sauce. Really yummy. Our dishes were served with creamy polenta, a side of pasta which was very good, and fresh cooked veggies. Perfectly cooked to crunchy, not overcooked. What a treat!!

Then I came back to reality. I'm half-way through my schooling. Only 6 months away.

I am SHOCK (thnx Papa John)! It also means that I will no longer be living at the ever so lovely Oasis Hotel. Where the heck will I go then?! The frets and worries of the six month fever.

Isn't life just one heck of a fun roller coaster? Maybe this is the real life of a personal/private Chef. I'm adaptable. I'm sure all will work out well. Its just so tense if I really think about it. My IRA is translating into _I_t's _R_unning _A_way..... just don't know if it will last.

Eh! Fugettaboudit!! Doan Stress.

3 comments:

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

Hey! What a great Spring Break!! Congrats on the upcoming catering gigs for Guy.. Very cool!

Six months ... wow.. Time does fly..I'll bet those Chef teachers of yours work some magic with known jobs and giving you all sorts of great open door opportunities... especially for you super HOT students! Don't worry too much.. Just a feeling...

I'm looking forward to your upcoming wine posts!!!

*karendianne. said...

What great energy you're pulling in! You have so many adventures unfolding right in front of you right now! Could you have imagined?

Leap and the Net Will Appear Love, *karendianne.

Anonymous said...

I told you, Girl If I have a place you have a place. Seimpre La Familia