4/16/08

Kitchen Math is a Bad Dish!


Having loads of cheap fun in computer class these days. We started doing Kitchen Math. WTF, you say is that? Well, we try to do metric conversions from US standards. Why? As if I knew. I don't plan on moving to the EU anytime soon.


Actually, its so we can price out the value of items comparatively. (I'm beginning to sound like my Chef Instructor) Meaning, if Vendor A was selling a 12 fluid ounce bottle of pork butt juice for $9 and Vendor B was selling a 500 ml bottle for $12.75, and then that idiot from the uptown shop - Vendor C was selling quarts of this crap for $26 (like I'd ever buy pork butt juice in a Quart size. What an idiot!) Anyway, (gawd I hate vendor C) I'd like to stay in business buying my favorite hi-volume product so who should I buy from that will save me money?


No one will tell me how to convert 1 bunch of cilantro from US to Metric. Iceholes all of them!


The other fun thing is figuring out how much carrots cost me to buy by the weight oz, the lb., a cup (diced) and a Quart (same dice), when I buy the 25 lb bag of carrots for $14.95 a pound. Its a laugh a minute in this class. I told the chef that after 3 hours of this torture my head hurt like a serious hangover. I go in feeling fine and come out feeling like I was the only one in a hammer fight without the hammer.


I might start drinking coffee again. This class is like a giant valium. I hate math. I had to cheat on my final in High School and I still got a D. Well there you have it. I just dished up a secret from my past for dessert. How much did that cost me?!

3 comments:

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

Cheater cheater cheater!!!!! OH my.. You know I have always held you up on a super duper high pedastol and wanted to BE JUST LIKE YOU when I was a sweet young thing of 8-12????
Come to think of it... I'm sure I followed in your footsteps.. I do know of one test I cheated on... but I will never ever confess when, where, etc...

OK. back to the kitchen math.. My son is doing some of this torturous stuff.. pints, gallons, cups, quarts... I had to look up all the conversions so I could correct his homework!!!
Which is why gormet stores sell super cute magnets with all this info on them... just stick 'em on the fridge.. and they are there when you need them..
Which gives me a brilliant idea! I'm off to convert our meat prices to some obscure measurement instead of lbs... Boise market starts this Saturday!

*karendianne. said...

Oh Andi's reply is a hoot!

And I can't get over Vendor C, okay? There's no room for me to comment here. I'm cracking up.

In stitches with Love, *karendianne.

littleride said...

OK, I have to comment. There is some confusion in terms of ounce, quart etc. Watch for the definition: FLUID OUNCE and LIQUID QUART relate to how much volume it displaced. You can have a measuring cup of peas, and of lead. Notice the cup defines the VOLUME not the weight. Now a 'dry' ounce or quart relates to weight. If you have an ounce of lead or an ounce of peas they define a specific weight, but the volume is different.
So do you want to see how much something weighs or how much space is occupied (displaced). I can generate an Excel with formulas so that you can plop in a number and it will give you equivalents.... as soon as I finish my finals....