4/26/08

Let Them Eat Cake!!

I like this RICE pudding. I don't believe there is a shortage of RICE! I think its just China getting back at the US and the World for the hubbub over the Olympics. Just like the contrived Gas Shortage. Give me a break. The powers in governments (global) are looking to fill their pockets and try to find ways to panic the people by "inventing" these absurd 'shortages'.

So, with all that in mind, here's a delicious and nutritious dessert thats easy to make. I made it during my Contemporary Foods class.

Lemon Rice (that new dirty four letter word) Pudding with Apples and Cinnamon.

1/2 cup short grain rice
5 cups milk

4 Tbsp sugar
zest of 2 lemons finely grated
2 Tbsp butter

Roma apples work here or anyone you prefer. I used 2 for 4 portions. In an oven proof saute pan, cook the thinly sliced cored and peeled apples in butter with sugar and cinnamon. Mix with rice and milk and place in oven at 350 for half hour (depends on your stove or altitude) Check before the 30 minutes are up to give you an idea of how much longer you need. All liquid should be absorbed but bottom shouldn't be burned. When its done you can put it into a mold or rounded bowl and press down. Let cool a bit while you take some plain yogurt and honey and the zest of the lemon and mix for the topping on the pudding. Invert the mold or bowl and top with yogurt dressing, serve. Very healthy. I don't add the amount of yogurt or honey since that is a decision you make according to your tastes.

For those of you annoyed that I don't give exact measurements its because this is how you should "eyeball" stuff and taste, taste, taste as you go along to learn exactly how you want something to taste rather than 'trust' some recipe blindly. I'm sure we have all, at one time or another, followed a recipe to the letter only to be sorely disappointed at the result. You should also figure out how much of something will suit your needs. Like above, for 4 persons I may choose to use 2 cups of yogurt or 4 ounces per topping of pudding each. The honey (or brown sugar or regular sugar or sweetner) is just till I get the taste I'm looking for as a topping. If there is more pudding left after all the servings have been dished up then save it. You can always refridgerate and make fresh topping or use some favorite jam heated in a small saucepan for a topping. Its totally up to you.

I just wanted to give you a healthier alternative. Enjoy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This has nothing to do with your rice dessert recipe, but want to let you know that our cell phones are no good, all 3 of them. Can't call anyone. Anyway, back from our cruise, and I'm sitting here and I am still feeling the Boat rocking back and forth. Food was delish, I took some pics. Fun was had by us. Garden looks marvelous, thanks for watering. AA.

*karendianne. said...

"eyeball" - oh dear - and taste, taste, taste. I'll never pass Cooking 101 at this rate.