11/20/08

Want to Put a Glo on Your Face?

This is my post for saving you some money during these difficult financial times. I'm in a do-gooder mood. I'm sharing with you my recipe for a healthy, nutritious, easy, speasy dinner for the coming winter months while saving you money. Think of it as my early Holiday Present to you all.

I'm sure that most of you college-educated types have done this in your dorms before. I don't claim any rights to anything here except that I have a blog that I'm posting it to.

I have Top Ramen noodles that I buy by the dozen for like a dollar. That's good. I then buy some chicken stock in bulk, which you can find deals on at this time of the year to save $. Depending on your vegetable preferences and amount of times you expect to be eating this Soup buy your appropriate amount of seasonal fresh vegetables to blend in the soup. I'll often buy a chicken thigh with the skin and bone in for the extra flavor it provides and it has cost me about $1.05 here in the City per thigh and to give me the daily portion of protein I need.

I heat up my electric burner, put the pot and stock on to heat, add the chicken to boil and simmer cooking for at least 25 minutes. I'll remove the thigh, debone it and remove the skin and toss and chop up the meat to re-add. In the meantime, I add the longer cooking veggies first like carrots, brussel sprouts, broccoli, califlower etc. and let them cook for about 5 minutes. Then I'll add the next batch of veggies like a squash, green onions, garlic, and Ramen Noodles without the spice pack. I'll let them cook for about 2 minutes then for the last minute I'll add the delicate stuff like spinach or other quick cooking leafy greens and chopped tomatoes if I'm in the mood.

When this is all done I pour it in a big bowl and dinner is served! I may add hot sauce (mexican style) or not. Its all up to you. I love this soup so much that I can practically eat it 3-4 nights a week! Not just because its Cheap!

I hope you like my little $ saver. It works, tastes good, is healthy, and inexpensive. What more could we want before the holidays? OH YEAH! Its LOW IN CALORIES!!!!!! Am I just cool or what?! The whole package here. Enjoy.

1 comment:

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

Oh yeah!!!! LOVE that stuff.. and you are right.. it WAS my college staple ....

My trick was to put in an egg... not the chicken... Let that cook with the noodles and veggies...

And that spice pack??? So dang gross!!! I add Tabasco. I still add Tobasco to my breakfast!!!

Here! I'll swap you a recipe! Here's my cheapo breakfast:
1 over easy egg
sauteed veggies (onion, cabbage)
1 super tasty rice cake (the good ones, like tamari flavored, seaweed, etc.)... then sprinkle Tabasco on top!
And coffee...