11/6/08

Chef Patrick's Secret!

Our humungeous Political Luncheon on Election Day was such a hit it made several San Fran political blogs such as www.sfbg.com/blogs/politics/2008/11/election_day_luncheon_in_sf.html and www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/11/04/BAGO13TUEL.DTL

Former Mayor Willie Brown was there as well as U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein and Attorney General Jerry Brown.

They gave their accolades to our School President, Jennifer White and she in turn came to give all 7 of us tattered and used up zombies her praise. It meant a lot. Pretty cool that we can also use that event on our resumes.

But back to the Master Chef that put it all together and guided us on our way to our personal nervous breakdowns, Chef Patrick! Gotta love that Frenchie. He knows his stuff and I only wish I knew what was in his head too. Eh, change that.... I'm talking strickly culinary stuff here. Something tells me there is actually more going on in his head than I need to know.

But one thing I think I may have possibly figured out is the way he keeps himself so calm, patient and fun. He MUST have a Xanax Atomizer Spray Bottle hidden away somewhere in the kitchen!! Or, he is simply an alien from another planet.

How does a guy wake up in the morning knowing he'll have a luncheon for 200 people while he has only 7 students to cook? How does he keep his shit in one sock when he later finds out that it will be 400 people? How does he know how much food to make? Oh yeah, just empty the walk-in refridge and put things together that no one ever thought of.

Take our "family meals" for instance. On mornings when we have extra time, someone will be assigned to make the family meal. This is for all of us in the kitchen and those serving out in the restaurant.

I never would have imagined that I would be scarfing up Vegetable Lasagne with Collard Greens, Bechamel Sauce and a tomato sauce for breakfast. (collard greens 'cuse we ran out of spinach). I mixed that with eggs scrambled by Ruben (my buddy Roobie) with mushrooms and who knows what else, (I call it mystery eggs); then the Veal Cheeks in a Hearty Red Sauce. The Orichiette pasta with meaty tomato sauce was good too. That was Breakfast!

This morning, family meal was slices of NY steaks, mashed potatoes, hash browns, and scrambled eggs. There was a lot of fruit left over from a fruit platter so I ate that during the morning work. I never knew breakfast could be so interesting. My stomach doesn't fully agree but hey, we have to try to just get along. Stomach is hungry, I have food, Let's Make a Deal.

I'm going to make a final ditch effort to find Chef ("Jeff" as Phil and I call him) Patrick's Atomizer Spray bottle. I know it has to be somewhere nearby. No one is THAT cool.

But maybe Jeff is.... I'll miss you Jeff!

No comments: