11/10/08

Cooking for the Chronicle

Today was my first day at the San Francisco Chronicle's Food and Wine Department. It was a cool morning but well past my usual 5:30am wake up. I boarded the Muni bus in nice weather for my short ride to Market Street and 5th then proceeded to walk the remaining few blocks to the Chronicle.

I have come to find out that the F&W dept. don't get in on Monday's until around 10ish (insert smile here). My regular hours are 9:30 till 5pm (ditto the smile here). Once everyone was in and settled I got to my first assignment of cooking turkey legs and breast's confit; meaning cooking the legs submerged in duck fat for 3 hours and the breasts to 135 internal temp then letting it sit in the confit another 20 minutes. I cleaned and prepped the turkey, cut it up, took out the wishbone and got things going.

Well, it turned out the breast recipe didn't cook well enough at 135 degrees so next time it should be about 150ish then let it sit. We need to follow directions explictly at first then make our notations for any changes after.

Next on the list was Cardamom Ice Cream. I love the smell of cardamom seed pods. They are so aromatic. The ice cream was a slice of heaven when it was done. Tomorrow I'll be making pumpkin pies to go with it. Yummm.

There were a lot of dishes, pots, pans and cleanup but it was so pleasant working in a kitchen that is more like a home style kitchen than the big monsters I was used to at school. There is another student from the CCA there too. I know her from our Newspaper Club at CCA so that was nice to see a familar face. The gal who oversees me is also a CCA grad. The three of us were sharing the kitchen today cooking up individual recipes the writers are doing articles on. When we are done cooking we all taste test them, make any corrections and possibly re-do the recipe tomorrow.

I got my security pass and internet access late today so tomorrow I'm set to go. The ride home on the muni was fine and quick. It's a bit crowded but it sure saves on parking. Since this is an internship there is no pay so I must find ways to save, save, save. Gotta make it through the end of January at this gig to get my Cordon Bleu certificate. In the meantime, I need to get started on trying to find a "real" job. Yikes...

I feel like I'm stuck on Disneyland's "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride". Scary.

1 comment:

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

Oh my!!! Graduate on Friday, start internship on Monday!!!
So... who comes up with the recipes? And who are the writers? Are the writers giving you the recipes they want to review????