11/23/08

SPAM - Stuff Posing as Meat


What with all the upcoming holiday cooking to be done, I got to thinking about SPAM as a food product. In my research I was surprised to know that the United States is the largest consumer of SPAM! I have personally Never eaten it nor do I know of anyone who has, yet this ‘meatloaf with no training’ is consumed in huge quantities in my own country. It is also known as ‘ham that failed its physical.’

According to Hormel’s trademark guidelines SPAM should be spelled with all capital letters and treated as an adjective! HA. Boy do I have a few adjectives to throw at Hormel. ‘Hideous’ is the first that comes to mind closely followed by ‘Questionable’ and ‘Gut-Wrenching’.

Many questioned the naming of the product. Why S-P-A-M? Did it mean Something Posing as Meat? Or, Stuff, Pork and Ham? Or how about Spare Parts Animal Meats? No one knows.

I also found out that there are 12 varieties of SPAM sold. TWELVE!! SPAM Classic wasn’t enough, they went and made stuff called “SPAM, Less Sodium” like you’re eating this meat posing product and you’re worried about your salt intake?? Then there’s SPAM Singles. This would be the one to eat if you want to eliminate your social life. Where is this stuff? I’ve Never seen it in a store here in California or any store I’ve ever been to.

Apparently SPAM is very popular in Hawaii. I think people in the Mainland think of SPAM as Poor People’s Meat Product but being heavily consumed in Hawaii I guess SPAM is considered a good thing. Therefore, other canned food meat such as Treet or SMEAT is considered Poor Peoples SPAM. I guess.

In keeping to that line of thought maybe we need to rename some of the less desirable neighborhoods, like where I live in the Tenderloin, and call it the Spam Valley neighborhood. I like that name better.

Some other ideas came to mind. If SPAM is so darn popular and it is a world-wide phenomenon then let’s have an Iron Chef edition with SPAM! I can see it now. Chef Bobby Flay will make an Escargot and SPAM Omelete – a fancy version of the Slow Food Movement. Then one of the competing Chefs will try and kick it up a notch and make SPAM Confit! That is SPAM slow cooked, completely submerged in duck fat.

I think you may be able to buy a can or two as stocking stuffer’s this year. What a Treet. That and a nice jar of pickeled pig’s feet and you’re set. Okay, splurge and throw in a bottle of Okra Chutney.

I even found a recipe for SPAM Upside Down Cake! It was from 1945. You line an 8 inch ring mold with SPAM slices and fill it with boxed bisquit dough laced with tiny cubes of more spam. Bake at 425° for 40-45 minutes, cool and serve. The recipe suggests filling the center with a nice tart cheesey sauce [emphasis on cheesey].

I found that there are SPAM lovers in almost every country in the world! Who Knew?! I am completely amazed. This important food immigrates faster than a few of my former husbands.

1 comment:

LittleRide said...

My ex ate that and hash. Lunch was so pleasent