5/2/08

Gotta Love This School!

Today in class, we tasted an Alsace (region) - Gerwertztraminer (grape) which is from France. But the name of the grape sounds German you may say. Yes, but the French had a war and took over that section of Germany a long time ago and now it's in France with the German name. I'm guessing the French never changed the name as a little reminder to the Germans. Something along those lines.

But I digress! (we tend to do that a lot in class with the wine tasting part) The wine was unbalanced, too acidic and young. I can't believe I knew that after the first taste!! If I tried to correct the balance I'd end up with more acid, compromising what little flavor this wine had. Its only redeeming value (my opinion here) was that it had a big alcohol content which I blind guessed right at 13%! Another stunning thing I'm learning in this class. Its soooo much fun. Especially at 11am! HA I guess this is the reason I'm always leaving this class feeling so happy. I'm learning something. hic.

Thursday we tasted a couple of California wines which was a better tasting experience. A Cabernet Sauvignon and a Chardonnay. This is just the best school ever where we get to eat and drink our work! I miss the cooking part but the wine class definitely softens the edges. I think in the Advanced Wines class we get to pair the wine with actual food. Then guess what we can do? Yep. Chef Lunchtime. Just another reason to breathe.

By the way, this wine stuff is easy. I could teach you and you'd learn it in 3 days. We're being taught all the back door stuff no one teaches you b/c they'd rather you didn't know how easy it is to know what you're buying. Then they'd lose their importance!

I'll drink to that! I have to go now and further educate myself at Bev More. Ta-ta.

1 comment:

littleride said...

little ride say: The region is the Alsace Lorraine .( I think that was when the Hanovers ruled Germany, not sure there). I think Germany tried to be an Indian Giver and started WWI & II over it... just kidding. For now on I am calling you to get a clue the next time I run into a snobby waiter... I don't why, but the actual waiters in San Fran have actual panace and never make you feel like an idiot, they just like to make little quiet suggestions. I Miss the City of Class & Cosmopolitan Attitudes.