5/14/08

My First Job!

I did my first job last night from the staffing agency that I hired on with. I work in a Chef capacity at events in San Francisco.

I was really really nervous on what it would be like, how I could get there and more importantly, how to get back home safely. I was stressing Beeg Thyme.

I decided to take a taxi there which cost me $10. The event was huge. 2400 people! It was for the telecom giant CISCO. It was cool they way they had this 125,000 sq.ft. building all decked out with food stations, theme areas, entertainment and all. Pretty amazing. They had 3 "kitchens" going, probably 5 booze stations, and hundreds of wait staff.

I was in Kitchen 2 where our food station was way the heck in another zip code. You know, like when you go to the airport to catch your flight and you're cutting it close but you notice that your boarding gate is the VERY LAST stop. You have to kick butt to get there all hot and sweaty. That's where our food station was. 12 blocks past the last frickin' gate. We had trays of food to deliver all night long. The Turkish Kabobs were put on these grande sized clay glazed trays and must have weighed 5 pounds each empty. As the evening wore on they gained weight (just like I do when I see food) to 90 pounds. Trying to negotiate through a packed crowd required a lot of dexterity and agility, none of which I thought I had anymore. Somehow I came through with some.

Then there was the issue of my shoes. I wore my official chef shoes which are steel toe reinforced so they weigh about 10 lbs each and are extremely uncomfortable. I will not be wearing them to other events unless I know I'll be in a "real" kitchen. Even with 2 Dr. Sholls inserts they hurt. The other annoying thing was that my insert for my left shoe kept sliding forward during the night so I had to keep untying, fixing and retying all night. I gotta buy some crazy glue. I would get tons of arch support where I didn't need it and nothing protecting my heel which did need it.

My feet are big complainers today still. They're still barking like a pair of mad dogs with every step.

The hardest thing of all was walking home from the BART station at the Civic Center and Market street where I was dropped off by another chef. I had a long walk ahead, maybe 10- 12 LONG blocks. In those shoes. In that neighborhood. Up hill. If anyone wanted to mess with me last night I could've kicked 'em in the family jewels or just beat the heck out of them since I wasn't too happy about my long walk.

I have to work another job Sunday at the same place for a George Lucas, Indiana Jones event but this time I'll take my car since parking is free on Sundays. And I'll wear my Merrills for comfort.

The good thing is that I eat some good food, bring some home too and.... uh, um... the food is good anyway. This agency job will work on my resume. Plus I'm making some income finally. I need some input into my outgo.

All in a daze work. ugh.

2 comments:

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

COOL!!!!!!!
My kids would just love to be with you on Sunday! Who am I kidding... I would LOVE to be with you on Sunday!!!!
Jake's bday is Sat. and I am doing an Indiana Jones theme - even though the movie isn't out yet and all the party supplies aren't availabe! I can see them on the order sheets and they say 'not available until mid May'! Hello!!!!! It's mid May! I did order some cool Legos though.. Indiana Jones ones.. and, our party is a Lego Treasure Hunt!
OK.. perhaps I need to get a life.. look at me! Excited about Legos!

Gypsy Quilter said...

Oh that sounds like an adventure. But do you have any advice on making the perfect chocolate fudge icing? Any at all??