5/16/08

Wine, Whine, Wine

Well, our Intro to Wine class is over today. I'm happy to say I scored Aces on both tests, scoring better on the Business Mgmt test! Go Figure. We ended class with some Fortified Wines, like Sherry's and Port's before being released back into the system. We were fortified!

We learned from a Master Taster, Chef Roy Sandoval. He taught us the stuff other wine teachers don't. Other classes are shock! that we can come within a percentage point of the alcohol content and within a year of the vintage on a blind tasting. They didn't learn it from their teaching chefs.

Show me a lable and I can now read it like an open book (or a flat label) and tell you about it. I'm really hoping we get Chef Roy again for Wines II and Business Mgmt II.

By the way, we did taste a bottle of Chateu Neuf du Pape in class and I have to say that it was NOT a good vintage to my tastes. Not what I'm used to. Too much acids and tannins still. Should have been aged more. I still can't wait to open the one Shannon and Lisa sent me. They. Are. So. Cool! You guys ROCK!

We start Monday morning on the Principles of European Cuisine. Free food once again! It'll give our slogged tongues a break from all the wines, champagnes, and fortified wines. But I'll be getting up again at 5:15 again instead of this couch potato 6:15 style of luxury. Oh well, at least its light out on the streets. All the homeless are up and out of the doorways when the sun shines. I have no clue where they go since they don't have a job or a home but they're always mysteriously gone. I don't see them in the parks or on bus benches either. Odd.

I'll be working again this Sunday at a luncheon buffet for George Lucas' Indiana Jones opening movie. I think it will be a big event. More to follow when I get home that afternoon. Should be interesting.

Cheers and Happy Friday!

No comments: