5/17/08

New Food Favorite

I cooked up a new idea the other day and its my new favorite so I'm cooking it again tonight for my Cousin Guy.

I had 3 pieces of boneless, skinless chicken thighs and a big "what to do" with them thought. The day before I prepped up some fresh tomatoes by chopping in 1 inch pieces, adding to them some minced garlic, chopped shallots or onions - fine dice (smaller than the tomatoes), added salt and generous pepper, red wine vinegar (didn't have that so I just added some red wine to my apple cider vinegar) and olive oil. Sort of like a tomato salad. Then I put it away in the fridge. My thought being that I would use it as a dressing over fresh baby spinach leaves which I've done before and I love.

But when I browned the chicken in the skillet they looked so lonely I thought I'd add the tomatoes to cheer them up. I poured them over the simi cooked chicken and let that simmer for about 1/2 hour. I removed them from the pan when they were done with a slotted spoon to get all the tomato up and on top of the happy chicken then poured off most all of the juice then added my spinach to saute. I usually put garlic and crushed red peppers in my spinach but not this time. I had some left over Mac and Cheese as my carb section and it was really tasty!

I'm going to do the same again tonight since I think its a keeper. Tonight I'll make it with Orzo Pasta and my spinach that Guy loves.

I heat up a skillet pan, add some olive oil and sprinkle in some crushed red pepper flakes to warm them up nicely (when I begin to smell the heat of the peppers) then I add some sliced garlic and heat that up briefly, not till golden since that ruins it and turns it bitter. I add the spinach and toss to get it all oiled up and cook it down, add some salt and voila! A tasty spinach.

Simple and easy is my game plan. Its a beautiful day here in sunny San Fran. Bright blue skies and the weather has finally broken its menacing heat wave. I'm alive once again!!

1 comment:

*karendianne. said...

Oh ABSOLUTELY fantastic! A captured moment of bliss. How cool is that?! Dig it Love, *karendianne.