12/12/07

Fat and Skinny Had a Race

Fat won. End of story.

I'm beginning to understand that eating in a restaurant is really a high fat adventure. Just don't do it every day or even every week. You'll lose the race. We use a TON of clarified butter which is just the Fat left over from the butter once we skim the protein off and drain all but the water into a container. Refrigerated, its hard as oil refrigerated. They're both just fat. Plain and simple. Just so you know...

Today we made Veal Scallopini in a lemon and caper sauce with gratin potatoes (thin sliced potatoes and heavy cream 40% fat) and some green beans and carrots julienned. It was good but we did melt whole butter with the veggies after blanching them to warm them before plating them with the veal and potatoes. Sure. It tasted Wonderful. I ate most of what I cooked. No friggin' wonder I'm not losing weight.

Then we also made Salmon with a Beurre Blanc sauce (basically butter) with some blanched spinach mixed in with Orzo pasta. I added a touch of butter for flavor (to please the Chef). She loved it and I did excellent. I ate some of that too.

I've got to plan out a way to avoid these high fat foods or I'll just scream. We HAVE to taste the food we cook before giving it to the Chef. But by the time we're in Skills class cooking we are ravished and everything smells so wonderful. Its like a chockoholic working at See's Candies.

Tomorrow is Braising. Braised meat with all kinds of good things.

My Christmas List has now been updated. A stomach pump is at the top of the list.

Screw it. It is what it is and I am what I am. A Chef! I must taste all that I cook and if its real good I'll eat a bit more of it. Gawd I'm good!

Burp......

1 comment:

*karendianne. said...

Oh but you did "The Runway Model." I witnessed it. I saw it. I even have photos to prove it. NO ONE in our family gene pool has ever strudded her svelte self with more class and joy than you. You were quite a tasty treat back then I'm sure.

But Now is the time to be a tasty Chef.

Taste Temptress Love, *karendianne.