12/19/07

Bad Day at Black Rock

The old movie phrase fits here today. I pretty much "blackened" most of my food products today due to an out of wack oven. True. Yesterday my friend had her Pommes Duchesse ruined by the same oven. My problem? I couldn't remember which oven it was today that overheats.

So after Tourne'ing all my Root Vegetables (which are hard as rocks and gave my hand cramps) I put them into the oven and they were desimated in a short amount of time. We have convection ovens which cook (or blast, as in my case) quickly. All that painful work for nothing.

Then I tried to make a simple pan gravy, which I've made thousands of times and ruined that by listening to another chef friend and used wine instead of chicken stock (something I know NOT to do) but under all the pressure to complete 2 full dishes in 1 1/2 hours I screwed that up. All I could present to Chef was the chicken. Which was fine and golden crisp.

In my rush to get my pork roast in the oven quickly I put it in the same oven as my tourne vegs and Chicken. It got too browned crisp on the bottom before I could change ovens. Then Chef decided to change our zucchini provencal to just tourneed zucchini and I thought we had to do both. Neither turned out since I was so busy I overcooked my sauteed tourneed zucchini.

It was a Kitchen Bitch Day from Hell. Send Sympathy Cards to someone who is paying attention. Not me, obviously.

^%^#(!!! (put your special words here). %&((#*@!!

Written Final is tomorrow for Skills class (Kitchen Cooking). Thursday is Competency in Roasting and Poaching and Friday is Competency in Grill and Saute.

After my screwups today I think I've cleared all negative hurdles and everything should be fine. I work well under severe pressure. Not the piddley ass kind like today.

Rock On!!!

2 comments:

*karendianne. said...

Holy BatOVENs Batman!

We used to say before a Dog Obedience Competition that it was a good sign when you blew it all the day/week before your "Run." It just seemed to workout best when we blew it because somehow that worked out the tight energy and we'd have a "Clean Run."

Clean Love, *karendianne.

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

Yep.. All the Bad Mojo is now out of your system so your finals/tests go smoothly!!
Bake/Braise/Rock ON!