12/13/07

Doin' the Hustle!

Today was kitchen madness. There's never enough work space and too many things to do, get, chop, dice, mince, peel, and pour. There were about 10 of us in class today and all of us were using at least 4 saucepans, bowls, plates, tools, and weighing and measuring. Its like working on the runway of Los Angeles Airport. Everyone has sharp knives and pots of boiling liquids. Its a constant effort to keep from colliding with others. Somehow we don't which is amazing in itself.

We had to do two different braises, one was a Swiss Steak and the other Coq au Vin (chicken). We also had to make two different starches for each and different veggies. We had to time it so it was ready at the same time to present to the Chef HOT! All in two hours.

The red cabbage was really good with apple, brown sugar, red wine and red wine vinegar and a few more things. It took time to "sweat" it out and not overcook. The rice pilaf was easy to do and just forget about. I boiled the potato long before I needed it so it for mashing with cream and butter so it had to sit and wait for me. I put it above the stove to keep warm.

We also braised celery and fennel in chicken stock which was surprisingly good. I thought I overcooked them but Chef said they were perfect. Just needed more salt! Imagine someone telling me I need to use more salt! Ludicris. I'm trying NOT to ruin everything with my salt addiction.

We also had to cook some mushrooms (quartered) and pearl onions (blanced and peeled) in bacon rendering to add to the Coq au Vin as garnish. There were easily 65-70 pots to clean in addition to all the other stuff.

I feel like I ran a marathon. I'm pooped! I completed all my stuff and Chef liked everything except needing more salt on the Swiss Steak dish everything was good. By that time I was starving so guess what we get to do? Yes! We eat our own food. It was yummy. This is where the pounds are creaping on though.... Oh well, job hazard.

Oh yeah. I PASSED my Safety and Sanitation State test. This is a certificate that is really good to have as a chef. Its like a license. It's given by the National Restaurant Association. Some students didn't pass. One gal told me that out of her class of 15 students, only 5 passed the test. I know there were some in our class but not how many. You HAVE to pass to graduate so they'll have to PAY for the test again in February.

I'll have to go to the Espinoza's this weekend to practice some of my dishes that will be on my Competency Test next Thursday and Friday. I'm looking forward to it. A bit of Christmas music (or not) and a kitchen all to myself!

Life is good. Eat well.

3 comments:

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

See? I knew you were a braisin' woman!!! Or was that brazen??? Tee Hee!

Home at last in my jammies.... Tonight was the kids Christmas program at school. The best one yet (as in short and sweet)!...

Congrats on passing the test!
See ya,

Anonymous said...

Wow, your bedroom looks great! You weaved magic there...........I love seeing the pics that accompany your journey. Here at the Espinoza's we're gaining weight too but I can't blame it on you.

*karendianne. said...

I'm just glad you didn't have "Dish Duty" after all that work.

Fun to read. I dont know what braising is but it sounds fun.

You know, reading this its easy to see how comfortable you are in the kitchen. You seem to have it in that state of manageable chaos while your under pressure.

That's a gift.

Love, Daughter Di who is very happy you passed the sanitation test, too.