12/4/07

As My Grandfather Used to Say....

"that was a yolk meja". Today we had EGG day which was fun after all the chaos of our competency final on soups and sauces. I purposely came to class hungry, meaning I didn't have a blueberry muffin or egg and chorizo burrito, etc. before class. I was focusing on the eggs, which I love.

There is a student in class that NEVER had an omelet!!! I was shocked. She didn't think she'd even want to cook one. We all had to cook eggs: Scrambled (how hard is that), over medium (very hard since we had to PAN flip it) I wasted about half dozen eggs not to mention the mess. Glad I didn't have Hot Line (cleaning the stoves) or Steward (cleaning the floor). I had Dishwashing. Again. Damn. I wish I could use gloves...

Then we had to poach an egg in a pot with hot water, vinegar and salt. When it rises to the surface you're good. If it doesn't you're an idiot. Means you forgot to add the vinegar and salt. We had to put this little piece of sunrise on a half toasted english muffin (that was panfried in the oil left over from cooking the Canadian Bacon then top it all with fresh made Hollandaise (which is pretty much pure fat).

After that we made a European Omelet. yada, yada, yada..... I'm tired. I stuffed mine with minced leeks and mushrooms with parmesan. Chef liked it. That's all that mattered.

Tomorrow is Pasta Day. Its gonna be a bit hard since we have to work in teams. I hope I get my culinary expert Phil. He's good. But probably the other students will have hissy fits since both Phil and I are - lets just say it - the best in class. There. Its said.

I never thought my hand muscles could be sore. They are. The bottoms of my feet are sore, my back, my neck, my upper arms, my..... ad nauseum.

Just to show my age, which I'm not proud of, I'll end with a quote from that lovely comediene Red Skeleton,

Good Night, and God Bless.

No comments: