12/6/08

Lamb Stew

I made a tasty lamb stew yesterday at work with lentils and barley, zucchini, tomates, onions and garlic. It was the brainchild of one of the staffers. It was perfect for a nippy winter day. I didn't have my camera with me so I don't have a photo but I found this one on the web to get you started.


Catch yourself a nice spring lamb if you can. If not, jam over to the market and buy some already de-sprung. A pound and a half of loin cut. Cook your lentils and barley (1 cup each) in two different saucepans because they fight and argue if you mix them. Mostly in your intestines but they will disagree unless you separate them. One cooks faster than the other; barley is the de-caffinated (slower to cook) one so give it 20 minutes simmering. I used little orange lentils for the other and they took only 5 minutes to cook. Drain and reserve aside. You don't have to put them in separate bowls anymore because the boiling hot water took all the life out of their argumentativeness.



Why, Orange lentils are so cheery looking don't you agree? (little ugly doll not included in box)



Chop up your lamb (1 1/2 lbs) in bite sized pieces, something that would fit on your spoon with room for the other ingredients, and salt your meat [this is not where the term Salt Peter originated BTW] (I use kosher salt on my sacri-fish-el meats because the Cooking Bible told me so) and set it aside.

Chop up 1 1/2 cups of onions and mince about 4 garlic cloves real tiny. Or not. Basically, its how small you want it right? I like garlic so I would chop them the size of the lentils. What we're looking for here is stuff that is chopped in a consistant size. Why you ask? Because we're anal about little things like that. Let's move on here without too many questions shall we?

Take a big skillet and heat it up. Add about 2-3 Tablespoons of oil and get that nice and hot, not global warming hot,



and add the meat to sear it (you took the globe out first right?). It should sizzle when added. Cook it up till its all cooked and removed it to a bowl while you do the next step.




Saute the onions (chopped small remember) in the fun fond that is left from the sprung lamb, moving and stirring them to pick up all the pieces of what's left on the bottom of the skillet. Then add the garlic and as soon as you can smell the aroma of the heavenly goodness that is garlic shut off the stove run out of the house and give prayerful thanks from the rooftops for garlic. Okay, don't shut the stove off. Keep right on going....you can do it, I just know you can.

Add 3 cups of chicken broth and 3 tablespoons of sherry and 3/4 cup of water to the onions and garlic and bring it to an easy sleezy simmer. It should look way better than this photo below. If not, you've done something regrettably wrong and should get the hell out of a kitchen you moron.


Moving on. Add the meat, lentils, barley and smally chopped zuchini and tomatoes. I used 3 zuchini and 1 large tomato [all still chopped to that insy binsy size] to the whole she-bang. Let it cook 10 minutes and Presto! You have something to eat that didn't cost too much and should feed about 6-8 guests. Serve with a nice Central Coast Syrah or a bottle, box or jug of your favorite crapola. I really don't care.


The point is - a heart meal that I could dish up for you on my blog along with my side dishes of sarcastic humor. Job Done.

4 comments:

*karendianne. said...

What a great post. I was cracking up all the way through. At first I was in ruins over the little baby lamb ~ how could I recover? Then I was on the floor discussing fighting, arguing and disagreements since none of us can relate but moved on until finally you ruined my vision of Orange Lentils (witch I have on hand and now I'm going to have nighmares, KB) and no salted peters for me!!!

Off with the Peters!

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

Oh you are a woman after my own heart!!!
Love me some lamb stew...

Anonymous said...

HI! Greetings from Argentina.
Did you ever heard about "cordero patagónico" (patagonic lamb)?
You must taste it asado (grilled)!
Nice blog
Sincerally Yours
Julián

Marblehead Johnson said...

I wub roo, and your tasty stew (and the awesome pictures, too!)