12/17/08

Busology - A Commuters Guide


I'm becoming quite the bus rider to and from work these days. Its been a learning experience and one that I'm getting better (?) at daily.


There are some things I've noted however that would make riding the bus easier. I should jot them down here for those of you who commute on the bus (or soon will have to since it IS cheaper!).


#1. There is no one to complain to if things are not going your way. Understand that before you ever step on a bus. Just don't do it. You might as well just get off at the next stop and throw yourself in front of the next bus. No one cares okay.


#2. Wear earplugs if you don't want to hear the cell phone ranters, the random talkers to no one in particular, the miserable singers, and the certifiable mumblers. Also wear them if the repetitious announcements get on your last nerve turning you into one of the #2 people.


#3. Realize that some folks like to eat raw garlic or drink heavily, and think bathing is for woosies. Chew on a mint.


#4. Know that the one person boarding the bus that you don't want to come near you - will. They will sit next to you if you are sitting or stand right next to you like they were your closest family member. It's just Busology.


We have a lot of boxes that come into the Chronicle every day, mostly boxes with wine inside. I open them, break them down and recycle them. (another part of my job) I put the wines away after entering them into the computer or store them for wine tastings in the fridge. I really like the size of the boxes. They are perfect for boxing up the books I have been accumulating from school and cooking books. So I take them home. One or two every day.


I must look like I've been holiday shopping. People like that. Makes me seem real nice and thoughtful. I've also taken to carrying them like they weigh a bit. This bottom-feeding method keeps earning me a seat on the commuter bus. Not something I usually get in the mornings. But then I have more energy in the morning and can hang on better.


The bus announcements keep reminding everyone that the front seats are for the elderly and the handicapped. If a geezer gets on board someone has to give up their seat. I have now become less diligent about touching up my hair and now let some of the gray show. I'm getting pleased with my seat-nabbing gray hair.


Speaking of Hair. I saw a headline today that was too funny. Some guy pulled a judicial wig off another man in a public hearing and the headline said "Man who snatched wig will have toupee". The reporter must be new to the job. Maybe he used to work for Leno.


Today was also Wine Tasting Day. That means I had to set up for 4 tasters who were tasting 75 wines. We do 10 "flights" each time so that means I have 80 glasses set up with the initials of each taster and numbered 1 - 10 for each person stuck on with masking tape that tends to fall off after a couple of rinses. It keeps me busy. I put a tray of 10 wine glasses in front of each individual. I wait till they're almost done tasting then I pour another 40 glasses on trays of 10 each and switch them out. I take the empties and give them the next round. I rinse them all out and drain them, then I prep to repour at the right time. I try not to break too many glasses. It gets annoying to do the tape again.


I also have to go down to the cellar to retrieve the wines out of the fridge (in this case they were white wines) from chilling and bring them upstairs where the tasting occurs. Its a lot of lifting, carrying, bending and standing around. And you all thought I had a glamour job! HA


On the bright side, tomorrow is Family Meal day and photo shoot day so we'll do a lot of cooking and eating and styling (for which I get a few $). I'll be making some sandwiches with pork tenderloin, cole slaw and a relish to go on a bread bun. If it turns out good I'll share the recipe!

1 comment:

*karendianne. said...

If it Family Meal day doesn't turn out so well, pass it out on the bus ~ make more friends.

Connecting with Others Love, *karendianne. smart ass.