12/21/08

Holiday Cheer!


I've been trying to remember to photograph all the little things to blog but darned if I get caught up in the moment and forget until it passes! Poo!! Anyway, Here are some photos of me getting into the holidays with family and San Francisco.














I like the one of the Musicians playing just the way it looks. Kinda blury and out of focus. I like it like that. Seems more magical to me. And I can't believe how elegant and beautiful the Forever 21 store looks. I went inside just to see the ceilings and chandeliers. Georgous!
There HAS to be a photo of the Powell/Hyde Street Cable Car in the SF Photo blog!! Its a must. Here it is at its 'turnaround'. So many holiday tourists riding it, that's a happy thing.
I go "home" on the weekends to visit with the Fam Damily and have some good meals and laughs. I was so happy to see the beautifully decorated tree and the whole house looked so festive and inviting. I'm looking forward to seeing it full with tables groaning from the delicacies and savory treats. Yum-Oh. Cousin Guy and Mum decorated perfectly!





















I can see the Star that Deb Melmon made for Guy on the tree right in the center! How wonderful.
Cousin Paul flew in from Arizona Saturday and I got to make dinner for my 2 cousins Saturday night. I was so excited to try a whole new 'style' and break away from the usual so I settled on a Thai Theme. Mum and Papa John went to friends for a holiday standard of breaking open champagne and cracking up some fresh crab. While they had their crab feast I was peeling back shrimp and cooking up Yum Love.
I made this salad, an Asian Pear and mixed greens with Sesame Dressing and a grated carrot topping. I opted for the mixed greens instead of watercress. I wanted to use half baby spinach and half arugula but I couldn't find arugula. The sesame dressing was different for me and tasty and next time I'll add chopped roasted peanuts (good idea Guy!) for some crunch on top.

Then I cooked up some rice, chopped some cilantro and green onions and served this Thai Soup with Shrimp, Pork and Chicken, Lemon and Jalapenos. We dished the rice in the bowls, topped with cilantro and green onions then topped it off with the soup. We passed extra Chili Garlic Paste around and it was Stunningly Good! Hits the Taste Buds right where they tickle. Hot, spicy, tart and savory. Umami overload.

When I remembered about taking the photos the food was GONE! Waa. So I took the next best shot of it all gone but the recipients quite happy!



Then we rested our stuffed selves for a while playing UNO. What a laugh and a half. We had so much fun! Just what was needed to add more cheer to the holidays. Afterwards, I made dessert. OMG. This one was so easy and so good. I mean EASY. I love me my Epicurious site for finding the best things.
How easy was buying 3 glazed doughnuts, vanilla bean ice cream and making a spiced caramel sauce with banana's. You really need to try this recipe!


The sweetness of this dessert was a perfect ending to the spicy heat of the dinner soup. The soup served well with a bottle of Savignon Blanc Fume. Perfect match. I wouldn't serve it with the salad as there is far too much fat in the dressing and the wine sours next to it. It was an interesting note for my cousins to see how wine reacts with foods differently.
Oh what a night. And what a great weekend.
I hope you all enjoyed yours too.

2 comments:

Guy Magallanes said...

First of all, so great to see pix of your San Francisco! So good to see pix of the food. Everything was Delicious, my mouth was so happy for the great workout of flavors. So happy to be a personal guinea pig for cousin Deb.
Oh and I didn't decorate, it is all Mom, I just helped with hanging the Christmas Tree lights (big deal) and hanging my new Christmas Star.

*karendianne. said...

Boy doesn't this look fun and yummy! It sounds perfect. Thank you for sharing all the joy of the recipients quite happy, too.

I love your cooking! I just love it. I love how it gets to come to life this holiday! Oh I do love this. Your turn with Love, *karendianne.