6/4/08

Southern Germany Conquered!

My project for Southern German cooking was due today. A complete report, menu with pricing, description of region, area, and information, recipes, timeline for cooking plan and plate presentation. I would have had a perfect score but the whole class was late in putting all the plates up at the same time so I was docked points for that. Otherwise, taste, flavor, composition, use of ingredients, and originality was all there. I didn't do it all myself as we have to "employ" 3 or 4 other student chefs to assist. My buddy Phil and my friend Sommer helped me and I had 3 floaters throughout.

I wasn't nervous or any of that prior or when I got to class. It was just another day. I had no idea how the recipes were going to turn out since I never made them before. But then again how hard is it to cook pork and wursts and sauerkraut and spaetzle? My pork and beer stew was the biggest winner next to the dessert which was a tasty coffee pudding with a foamy coffee sauce. Hats off to Sommer Clifford for that one. Poor Phil was stuck with the authentic but not terrible inviting Ham and Asparagus Rolls in Aspic, garnished with sliced boiled eggs. (very German) Another fellow put together the Wursts and Sauerkraut with Apples and Onions casserole style. I served it with rye bread and Dijon mustard in Tomato Cups for presentation.

I'm just happy to have the closest to near perfect score for the menu. Very happy.

1 comment:

*karendianne. said...

Smashing!

I thought this was really neat: "rye bread and Dijon mustard in Tomato Cups for presentation"

There is a lot, a lot, a lot of room for creativity in cooking that I had no idea about.

Also, I think that Wursts, Sauerstuff with Apples and Onions might be okay.

You make it all sound so dern good!