9/6/08

SF Civic Center Goes Country



The downtown San Francisco Civic Center has done something pretty amazing. They are using grow food! All food products harvested from the site will go into the SF Food Bank to help feed those in need.



I think this is very forward thinking. Its received a lot of good attention and was the backdrop for the recent Labor Day Slow Food Nation fair.














I walked through it the other day to see what they were growing. There's squash, broccoli, onions, lots of lettuce, tomatoes, green beans, corn, and herbs. Its a real treat for this city dweller to see a bit of "country" nearby. It is also proving nice for the pollenators. I noticed a lot of butterfly's and bees at work.
As a Chef in Training, this is my Eye Candy. I'm proud of the Mayor of San Francisco for allowing this opportunity. More Cities should follow suit. Its all volunteer staffed by people who want to make a difference. I'm all for that. You Rock, San Fran!

1 comment:

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

Awesome!!!! I love this! So darn cool...
I'll have to check it out if I ever get my butt down there.....