9/9/08

Enter Banquets and Catering


We started a new "sit-down" non kitchen class yesterday called Banquets and Catering. You may already know how I feel about non kitchen classes. In case you don't I've added a new Cat-O-Meter picture demonstrating my feelings at this point.
So far this is a lecture class. [read: stay awake numbskull!] Our Chef Instructor has a looong drawn out voice that tends to find one figeting or engaged in little distractions that entertain.
At one point today I had to sneeze so I grabbed a napkin from my sausage, egg and potato tortilla wrap, (which kept me busy and awake for a while) so when I sneezed into the napkin I heard two whistlely-squeeks come out of each nostril. Naturally, I thought the entire class could hear, which they didn't, so I laughed. Basically, what you heard was me sneezing then laughing. That in itself was pretty funny. Phil sure cracked up but then we are all pretty starved for fun in that class. (why is it no one heard my whistley-squeeks but they all sure hear when someone blows a gas-ket?)
Phil cracked me up when he was holding his pen in his hand, which was holding up his head, when he slowly dozed off and snapped up when his pen hit the table and flew onto the floor. That woke him up. I laughed. What fun this class is.
Then, I was doing some self entertainment of matching up my thumbs flat side to flat side and checking out which one was bigger than the other (the right - I'm right handed) and getting so drawn into that microscopic finger world that Phil had to push my shoulder to bring me out of the meditative state and back to the class lecture. (I really think Phil thought I was asleep and was jealous so he woke me.)
The purpose of this class is not self-entertainment but learning all about doing Banquets and doing catering. We're going to cater off-site somewhere during this class towards the end of the 3 weeks. We also will be setting up the banquet for a Career Fair which will be held at the Academy on the 22nd. So you see, the class has merit beyond vaudeville humor. But believe me, we need this childish humor right now.

1 comment:

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

Very funny!
I can hear that nose whistle squeak over here!!

Love the guy Phil and his pen flying... did he get hurt at all? Is there a dent in his forehead?

Oh so many visuals...
All you need is someone leading back in their chair, then crashing, because they leaned to far...

Or, cut each others hair.. I did that to a guy in high school.. I'll never forget it.. He asked me to!