9/30/08

Ewww Food

I'm not sure if I should say this but after working with things like gallantines, terrines, pate's and such I'm pretty sure I'm cured ('scuse the pun) of eating them in the next 50 years. Its a personal thing. I just don't want to eat pure pork fat. I don't like squishing all the meats together to look like brown baby food. Adding some dried fruits and nuts does nothing to entice me to eat it.

Have you ever eaten Liverwurst? It's soft and squishy and formed into a shape. What was it before that? Have you ever considered the answer to that? It was most likely chopped up livers mixed with pork fat and grinded together over and over till it came out squishy. Season it. Big deal. I used to love liverwurst sandwiches with sliced onions and tomatoes with mustard and mayonnaise. I'm cured of my craving for it now.

Especially after today where I was squishing meat through a grinder, I have no interest in consuming softened meat. If I grow old and lose my teeth I'll go vegetarian. The whole process is long, tiresome, and exhaustive in putting everything together. If you take too long you have to make sure the meats are sitting in a bowl over ice so it won't "go bad". I don't like making food with that type of consideration hanging over my head. I don't want to make people sick.

The grinders are BIG. You have to make sure to ice all the components so the fat doesn't congeal in the parts, if it does it gets all bolloxed up. Like mine did today. Then you have to take it all apart, clean it out, ice it up and restart. You have to use your fingers to get all the squished meat from inside the big screw that holds things together. Usually you just flick it back in the bowl with the rest of the stuff. Its not like eating icing from a frosting bowl. Somehow it grosses me out. It also grosses me out when the person before me didn't do a good job cleaning up after they used the grinder. Meat fingerprints all over the machine parts. Meat stuck inside the squishing tube/tunnel thingy. Blech.

Somehow I still don't think of Oscar Meyer baloney as squished meat. I love my baloney sandwiches. And I still like Oscar Meyer turkey hot dogs. I guess if I had to make it I'd change my mind. Oscar Meyer is my comfort food maker. I'm just not gonna eat brown coldpressed baby food with dried fruits and nuts, nor am I gonna eat cold squished pork fat. Ewww.

1 comment:

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

We ate lamb kidneys tonight... they taste just like liver...

Nothing to shout about... I had to 'chase' them with a fistful of dark M&M's from my secret stash....

I actually like liverwurst sandwiches! Of course, I haven't had one in about 30 years!!!!
Love tons of mayo slathered on them, between 2 slices of bread..
BURP..

Love your blogging!