9/30/08

Bull in a China Cabinet

Today in our Advanced Garde Manger class I had a little misunderstanding. With the Chef. Oh Boy. First day of class.

We're working in teams and FINALLY I have my best teammate, Phil to work with. I'm happy. We are all working on foods that will be presented in our restaurant on Friday's Grand Buffet. This means lots of smoked proteins, pate's, gallantines, ballantines and terrines. Google them if you want to know what they mean. Its late here and I'm not in the mood to keep typing descriptions.

Okay. Perfect example of where my mindset was today. (the previous suggestion to google). I was making 5 gallons of poultry brine whilst my buddy Phillip was deboning 4 poussin (the smallest chickens). Both of us were busy, busy, busy. I had made 1 gallon of brine when someone said I needed to make more. Well, the Chef had written 5 gallons on the board but it looked like a spelling for "poultry brine - sugar" We do put brown sugar in the brine along with salt and I wondered why he mentioned sugar so clearly but just got busy with my chores. Anyway, I was annoyed when I had to begin the process all over again, but got busy making what I needed to do.

I cooked both brines and chilled them with ice and had to leave the 4 pounder on the stove to cool while I began frenching lamb chops to put in a meat brine. (terrible shame. They should be heaped with garlic, rosemary, salt and olive oil and grilled)

Anyflay, I heard someone ax where the Poultry Brine was and I pointed to the stove and told them which pot it was in. About 15 minutes later someone else axed me where the brine was. Again, I said "over here, on the stove, that big pot". 20 minutes later I got another soundout with someone axing where the flippin' freakin' brine was so I said "Its in the same place it was the last time you asked me! Right here on the stove". As I said the last sentence I turned to see who was speaking so I could send a dagger beware glare and locked eyes with the Chef!! Some in the class were making those Oooohhh noises like you give out when someone disses someone really good. I quickly turned back around and said to myself "OH SHIT". I saw his face and it wasn't an "A" grade face. He even rolled his eyes and stuff. OMG.

After I changed my diapers, I collected myself and went over to the Chef and apologized telling him I don't know his voice yet and he sounded like a student so I just answered sarcastically since I'm not familiar with his voice yet. I told him it was the 3rd time I was asked about the brine.

Holy cow. What a close call. I definitely now know the sound of the Chef's voice. Absolutely.

No comments: