1/6/09

Wine Tasting Day


Part of my job at the Chronicle is prepping for the wine tastings each week. Its a big job. I have to open all the boxes that get delivered for a particular tasting and log the wines into a tasting sheet online by vintage, vineyard, appellation, price and importer. This week was German Rieslings.

64 little marching Germans to be precise. I had to bring them up from the cellar today via the old style elevator that you have to roll up the wooden gate, roll it back down then push the big fat button Up. Get to the designated floor then open the gate, blah, blah. The bottels must be numbered, corked and poured for 3 tasters. The only good thing was that by the 4th flight when they hit into the Spatlese's I decided to take a taste myself. I've forgotten how good those German Rieslings are since I usually drink only the more hearty reds. There was a bottle of a fabulous Robert Weil Auslese that is almost $100 a bottle. That one was really good! Really. There was a distinct difference from the other Auslese's I tasted. In the end, we got to bring home what was not deemed important to hold onto. I brought two Auslese's home.

Its a lot of heavy lifting and careful glass work. I have to carry a tray of 10 glasses filled with a sample of each wine to the tasting room. I keep praying that I won't trip and fall with my bounty of expensive wines. Its nerve wracking. Its also a lot of back and forth work. Then I have to set up all the glassware. 60 glasses keep circulating until all the tasting is finished. Which means I'm rinsing them out, repouring and redistributing. The glasses are marked with the initials of each taster and numbered 1 - 10. Each "flight" of wine is 10 glasses. There were 6 flights today plus a few odd 4 over that. Its a lot of work and not for the weak and meek.
Its sheer torture to see all these great wines and not be drunk by 2pm!

2 comments:

Guy Magallanes said...

First of all I LOVE your new header. Just like grandma, she plays with her food all the time.
On another subject, your poor thing having to carry your carefully selected wine home. What an adventure.
Todays word verification: mandma

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

I'm with Guy on the cute cheese/mousy header!!!

One day all your 'wining' will pay off!!!!! Tee Hee!