1/9/09

Lark Creek Steak, San Francisco

This has been a busy and rough week for me at the Chron. I've been slaving in the cellar over all the wines to unbox and log-in, I've been researching tons of information to print in the next few editions and I cooked (the bright side) today most of the morning. Tomorrow its back to the dungeon to tackle the wines again for the next upcoming tastings.

As a treat for my hard (and volunteer) given effort I decided to dine here tonight to give myself a little pat on the back for making all this happen. I ate alone and had the best service from a waiter who was over-the-top great. A waiter can make or break your evening in places like this when you're dining alone. He was James, a vivacious and genuinely friendly fellow but not overbearing like some can be. He knew everything he was talking about, especially the wines and pairings. He did everything right that I can think of that a good waiter should do when trying to assist the kitchen and serve the customer at the same time. He gently pushed the Sirloin Tartare, which you need to when its on the menu and there is a small crowd. Its not like it'll be good for too long. I guess that's why they have a nice truffled burger on the menu too. Use up that tartare.

He was really at his best when I was on my cell and my main dish was coming. He didn't want to interrupt so he just brought 2 little swallows of red wine in each glass for me to try that would go with my meal before I even ordered any wine. I thought that was the most thoughtful effort I'd ever experienced in a restaurant. Never did anyone try to be so helpful and non interruptive. When I got off the call, we discussed the wines and ordered one. My hats off to that man for his class and style.

I wanted to have a good meal in my home town before I leave the city at the end of the month and I did. I even had better service than I ever had anywhere and I'm glad it was here in San Francisco.

If you're ever around Westfield Mall at 5th and Market, stop into Lark Creek Steak, I know you'll enjoy the steaks that cut like butta and the double fried steak fries but more importantly the great service. It was well worth it.

1 comment:

Guy Magallanes said...

Firstly, I'm so glad you had a wonderful experience not like your last one at the "max".
Glad you enjoyed yourself, the meal and the whole experience, and I wonder if you got his number?
the word verification: hakrag
sounds like something you need while with a cold!