10/17/08

Friday Wrap Up

The Advanced Garde Manger class is now over. I really liked the work we produced but it was a hugemongous amount of hard work. These last two classes have been production classes, meaning that we were working all week for the Friday Buffets for our public restaurant.

This week my buddy Phil and I had to make a vegetable terrine with an egg salad and accompanying Horseradish Sour Cream sauce; and a pheasant balantine with a mushroom salad and a watermelon mango salad - both with different dressings. Everything was running smooth until Phil-e-mon sliced off a nice section of his right thumb on the meat slicer. Yikes! He had to go to the hospital and they gave him some fake skin to stop the bleeding and a huge bandage for his efforts. Oh, I felt so bad for him.

I was Very Careful when using the slicer. I had to slice salami's and cheeses today and used serious care in the process. Even cleaning it scares me!

Then we plated our weeks work on big presentation mirrors. We got very artisic with designs, fruits and cheeses along with our terrines, ballantines and gallantines, smoked turkeys, salamis, and other assorted combinations. They looked gourgeous! I forgot my camera so I'm waiting for another student to send me the photos.

What a busy week. Next and FINAL class is our restaurant production class. I can't believe I've been here one year now. Amazing. On November 10th I start work at the San Francisco Chronicle. Pretty darn amazing. Do I feel different? Yes, I do feel like I know a lot more than I did coming in. I just need more time in a kitchen!! Can you believe that?! I've got the obsession I guess. I really love to cook.

1 comment:

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

Yeah!!!! The finish line!
Dang.. a year??? Already????

NO WAY!

I hate how fast the time goes....
Congrats on everything!